This month’s soap box we will be speaking to is a trend that has been taking shape over the years. We would like to suggest that before we get to deep into setting goals, let’s enjoy some time this year to understand our current baseline. What do you do already?
In January, we thought it may be fun to create a group sleep tracking event. It is meant to bring attention to a crucial yet often sacrificed part of what it takes to be our healthiest selves. Have you been adding your sleep hours to our wall?! If you haven’t start now!
Bringing your attention to your current sleep habits will give us an opportunity to contemplate how we may be helping or hindering all the other things we do to create a healthy quality of life.
Let’s pay attention to what we already do in order to give us an opportunity to contemplate how we may be helping or hindering all the other things we do to create a healthy quality of life.
Have you noticed over the last few weeks if your sleep was hindered by any of the following:
- How much energy you had on average for the day
- What time you consumed any alcohol, caffeine and tobacco (and the amounts) * any naps (and how long they were)
- Any medications you took
- Any stressful (out of the ordinary) events that happened that day
- Time that you decided to go to bed for the night.
Other Options to Consider are:
- Think about how you slept the night before
- Estimate how long it took you to fall asleep
- How many times you woke up in the middle of the night
- How long you were up for each time
- What time you woke up as well as what time you got out of bed * how you felt when you woke up
While you are on this journey with us, notice these things about your sleep patterns and maybe even make notes, it may help you sleep in the long run!